Whilst some people may well get a job out of it, the majority probably will not. What it can do for you however, is move you several steps ahead in the job search. And if you are just curious it’s a great way to have fun, get information and helpful tips for when you are ready to find a job.
Employers have made a considerable effort to come to the Expo and convince YOU that they should be your employer of choice. You, on the other hand, need to convince THEM that you should be their employee of choice! Sheila Curran from Curran on Careers has the following advice for students keen to impress employers:
- Dress and act the part. If you look like you could already be working there you’ve made a head start.
- Make sure you read the company’s website. The research will make you more focused and you’ll be able to have a more intelligent conversation with them.
- Look like you have a targeted approach. If you look like you have singled them out purposefully, they will take you more seriously.
- Wow them with your questions. If you’ve done your research and read their website you can ask them for their opinion on news items or issues that appear on the website.
- Go to a table when there aren’t too many people around. Employers hate to stand around waiting for someone to come to them. Show initiative by going up to them and introducing yourself with a smile and a handshake.
- Try to build up a relationship. This can be difficult to do at a busy Expo, but if you spend at least 5-10 minutes with someone, there is a better chance that they will remember you.
- Have a few copies of your CV with you. Some employers will accept CVs on the spot, so be ready to take advantage of this opportunity should it arise.
- Find out whether the company is holding a presentation and whether they’ll be at the session so you can continue your conversation with them. Your interest in learning more about them will impress.
- Ask for the representative’s business card and find out if you can follow up with them after the Careers Expo. If you intend on applying to that company, following up with a thank you note and expressing your interest in applying will set you apart from most applicants.
Good luck and have fun! Remember the team at Vic Careers are always around at Career Expos- don’t hesitate to ask anyone of us for advice.