You can be asked all types of questions at a job interview. There is not a right or wrong answer, but the interviewer expects a reply. So expect the unexpected!
Here are some popular and recurring themes:
- If you could be a superhero, what superpowers would you have?
- If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why?
- Who do you respect most and who inspires you to strive for more?
- If you were in a movie, what kind of character would you play?
- If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see play the lead role as you?
- If you could compare yourself with any animal, which would it be and why?
- What three items would you take to a deserted island and why?
The first important rule is not to panic. At times interviewers will throw a curve ball to see how you react: can you think on your feet and keep a cool head? Weird interview questions are designed to get a spontaneous answers so that your interviewer can better judge your personality and creativity.
Here are some tips to help you cope: Don’t forget to breathe! Under the spotlight you can feel pressured to speak a hundred words a minute. Don’t be. Stay calm, clear headed and allow the words to come out in your normal tone. If you’re really stuck, repeat the question; “If I was a superhero, what superpowers would I have? Hmm, well…”. It’s a simple, but effective technique. You’ll get a few extra seconds to think and it will fill the immediate silence. Delivering a considered answered will also be viewed favourably than blurting out anything. Keep your sense of humour and remember you’re only human. It’s more important you convince the interviewer you’ll fit in, so show them you have the right personality and attitude even if you’re thrown.