In this edition of the keyboard shortcut series – Google Chrome, my (and the world’s) favourite web browser.
If you’re not already using Chrome and have managed to stumble your way here in the passenger seat of a lesser browser, go forth and download, you won’t regret it. It just works!
OK, Chrome promotion over. With your shiny new (or old faithful) browser ready and waiting, let’s check out some cushty keyboard shortcuts… as usual, I’m not going to throw the kitchen sink at you, these are a mix of my favourites, easy to use and easy to remember.
Please note: while some of these shortcuts are specifically for use with chrome, there’s also a fair amount of standard shortcuts here that should work across most other browsers too.
- Ctrl+D – Saves your current webpage as a bookmark.
- Ctrl+F – Opens the find bar – type the word or text you’re looking for and every instance will be highlighted on the page and navigable by the arrow keys in the find bar.
- Ctrl+P – Prints your current page.
- F5 – Reloads your current page.
- Ctrl+F5 (or Shift+F5) – Force reloads your current page, ignoring cached content.
- F11 – Opens your page in full-screen mode. Simply press F11 again to exit full-screen.
- Ctrl and (+)Plus – Enlarges everything on the page – Zoom in.
- Ctrl and (-)Minus – Makes everything on the page smaller – Zoom out.
- Ctrl+0 – Returns everything on the page to normal size – 100% Zoom.
- Space bar – Scrolls down the web page.
- Esc – Stops the loading of your current page.
Chrome feature shortcuts
- Ctrl+H – Opens the History page.
- Ctrl+J – Opens the Downloads page.
- Ctrl+Shift+B – Toggles the bookmarks bar on and off.
- F1 – Opens the Help Center in a new tab.
- F6 – Highlights the URL in the address bar.
- F12 – Opens Developer Tools.
- Press Ctrl while clicking on a link – Opens the link in a new tab in the background. You can also click a link with your middle mouse button (the mousewheel).
- Ctrl+N – Opens a new window.
- Ctrl+T – Opens a new tab.
- Ctrl+Shift+N – Opens a new window in incognito mode.
- Ctrl+Shift+T – Reopens the last tab you’ve closed, remembers up to the last 10 tabs you’ve closed. (Love this one – it’s my favourite!)
- Ctrl+Tab – Switches to the next tab.
- Ctrl+Shift+Tab – Switches to the previous tab.
- Ctrl+W – Closes the current tab or pop-up.
- Press Backspace – Goes to the previous page in your browsing history for the tab.
- Alt+Home – Opens your homepage in your current window.